This morning we will seek to gain a deeper understanding of the existence, nature, and activities of God as He has revealed them in Divine revelation, the Bible. We begin by clarifying some terms:
_______________. The word “theology” comes from two Greek words, theos (“God”) and logos (“word”). Theology is, at its basic form, the study of God and His nature.
________________. Divine attributes are the qualities or characteristics that are inherently or intrinsically part of Who God is.
____________________. This speaks of the supreme power and authority of God to rule over all His creation.
____________________. To transcend means “to exist above and independent from.” By this definition, God is the only truly transcendent Being.
____________________. Belief in God’s immanence holds that God is present in all of creation, while remaining distinct from it. In other words, there is no place where God is not.
While we may not be able to fully grasp the heights of knowledge of God, we can seek to pursue a greater understanding based upon all that God has revealed about Himself.
- God ___________. The Bible does not set out to prove the existence of God. It simply begins with the presupposition that God exists (Gen. 1:1 “In the beginning God”). Does this mean that we must have blind faith and believe in God without any evidence? Absolutely not!
- o Evidence in ________________: “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handiwork.” Ps. 19:1
- o Evidence in __________________: “Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness”. Rom. 2:15
- o The Evidence in ________________: The Law of Causality/Cause and Effect states that every effect must have a cause. There cannot be an infinite regress of causes; there must be an “uncaused cause,” which is God!
- God is ______________. The distinct difference between the offspring of Abraham and their pagan neighbors in Canaan was their belief that there was only One God. (Deut. 6:4)
- God is One Revealed in Three Distinct ________________. God is revealed to humanity as Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is eternally a Triune Being.
- God is the Sovereign ________________. Despite what the Evolutionists would have us to believe, man is the unique creation of God. Man is created by God, in God’s own image, and for God’s own glory.
- God is Actively Involved in His _____________. The Bible declares that God is a God who moves in the affairs of man and is in the process of redeeming a people to Himself.
To know God is the highest pursuit of the human experience, to be known by God the highest of joy of the human experience. Jesus said this is eternal life (John 17:3), “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” Do you know God, through faith in His Son?
Recommended reading: Knowing God by J. I. Packer; Knowledge of the Holy by A. W. Tozer; and Father, Son and Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles & Relevance by Bruce Ware