“Let There be Light” – Numbers 8:1-4
Following the 12 Days of Giving recorded in Numbers 7 (twelve tribes presenting their offerings day by day), Moses entered into the tent of meeting and he heard the voice of God speaking to him from “above the mercy seat that was on the ark of the testimony, from between the cherubim.” (7:89)
The communication between the Lord and Moses was unique! Deut. 34:10, “And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face.”
- God gave instructions concerning the need for ___________ light. (8:1-2) The tabernacle was a tent that was four layers thick. Its inner lining was made of fine linen, covered with cloth woven from goat’s hair. These two layers were then covered with ram skins and over the top was a waterproof covering made from the skins of porpoises.
Imagine how dark it must have been! The lamps were to be kept burning continually!
- God gave instructions concerning the ________________ of the Lampstand. (Num. 8:3-4 & Ex. 25:31-40) The lampstand was probably the most detailed of all the furnishings made for the tabernacle. God instructed Moses; Moses gave the design to the master craftsmen, to whom the Lord had given skill and understanding. (Ex. 35:30-36:7)
- o The lampstand was made of hammered _____________________. (Num. 8:4a)
- o The lampstand was made to hold ____________________ lamps. (Num. 8:2)
- o The lampstand was detailed with the beauty of _______________. (Num. 8:4b & Ex. 25:31-36)
Interesting that the detail included “almond buds and blossoms.” Remember what was inside of the Ark!
- God provided the ____________ Light a dark world needed. As we approach the celebration of the birth of our Savior, it is essential that we remember the reason for which He came. The world lay in darkness, sin reigned in the hearts of fallen man, and into the darkness God sent His Light! Look at John 1:1-14
- o God is ____________________________. (1 John 1:5)
- o God sent ___________________________. (John 1:1-5)
- o God’s Son was the true ____________________. (John 1:6-9)
- o God’s _______________________ reveals our sin. (John 3:16-21)
- o God’s ____________________ is given to be shared.
Matt. 5:14-16, “Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
Application: Recognize that God is a holy God!
Acknowledge God as the source of light, the light that reveals both your sinfulness and the Lord’s grace.
Live in such a way that God’s light is reflected in all that you say and do!